Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Grouping?

In chapter 10 Boaler goes into more details about ability grouping and how the different sets of students feel about it. I can't help but shake my head and wonder what these teachers were thinking by only ability grouping. I use flexible grouping in all my subject areas especially in Language Arts and Math. I do teach a lot of lessons as a whole group, then break down into different partner work and usually use ability grouping for when I want to challenge certain children within our class. Depending on the learning goal, I pair a more advanced learner with a child with a learning disability. I develop a set of skills groups and vary the difficulty of the task or tier down or up for those children. I group my children according to varying interests so they may learn a common topic together. I may group my children based on their learning styles. I believe there is no one set way to doing things but that change is good. We all learn from each other. By using a variety of flexible grouping methods in my classroom I am reaching and exposing children to differientated instruction and also cooperative learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment