Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Day in My Math Classroom

Thursday was a busy day in math. I had 3 groups working on 3 different activities in my room. One was using the SMARTboard and recording themselves representing numbers in different ways. (This I will use as an assessment when I view the recordings.) Another group was visiting the class bank to change the paychecks for getting paid for doing their jobs for the month which they were so excited about. That meant the class store was opening today and the students could get to spend their hard earned money. Finally, my last group was working on a place value foldable as another assessment piece. Talk about engaged! Although to a visitor it might have seemed quite hectic, all children in my classroom had a job to do and knew exactly what I was expecting and all worked their hardest. As I looked around my classroom I was a proud teacher today to see all my children thoroughly engaged and excited about math! But it did make me stop and wonder about what the teachers at Amber Hill would think of my teaching style or how the teachers at Phoenix Park would view my tasks and the level of engagement of all my students. Would they consider my teaching unorthodox, unprofessional or unnecessary or valuable? I would like to be able to hear their opinions for sure and of course, that of the researchers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment