Phoenix Park vs Amber Hill
While reading chapter 3 I was thinking about the comparisons of schools, not just the physical space, but also the teacher’s attitudes, perceptions and teaching styles, and I was left to wonder which school I would want to teach at. I liked the “idea” of Phoenix Park School because the teachers seem more laidback, social and the atmosphere is more casual. The teachers seem from a younger generation and more open to trying new ideas, as they spend months on open ended activities in comparison to Amber Hill who just spends a few weeks at such activities. However, Phoenix Park School treats their students like miniature adults and provides them with little guidance for projects and asks them to seek help from other students should they have any concerns. This was a little troublesome for me, as I still see these students as young adults who still require much guidance to ensure that each student reaches their full learning potential. Like Amber Hill, Phoenix Park School also reverts back to one main method of teaching when examination time comes close. I guess the school I would like to teach at would depend on what value I place on the learning styles of my students and how much room I would have to allow my values to reflect in my teaching style.
No comments:
Post a Comment